WOMAN'S SOCIETY OF CHRISTIAN SERVICE (METHODIST CHURCH
(U.S.). NORTH GEORGIA CONFERENCE)
Records, 1940, 1966.
MANUSCRIPT NUMBER 015
REPRODUCTION: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: Women's Society of Christian Charter Records, MSS 015, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.
The North Georgia Conference, Woman's Society of Christian Service was chartered in 1940. Until that time the Woman's Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South served the same purpose of supporting missionary activities abroad and local mission work in North Georgia. In 1939, however, the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Protestant Church, and the Methodist Episcopal Church, South joined to form the Methodist Church (United States). Likewise the women of the three Churches united and the name, Woman's Society of Christian Service, was adopted as well as a new constitution and by-laws. In North Georgia there were 529 charter societies with memberships ranging from 6 to 475 women and a projected budget of 55,000 dollars for 1941. The Woman's Society of Christian Service of the North Georgia Conference remained active until 1968 when different streams of Methodism in the United States joined to form the United Methodist Church.
This collection contains the Charter Membership Forms of the Woman's
Society of Christian Service in the North Georgia Conference. Each
form contains the name of the local church, the geographical location,
the date of the first meeting, the names and addresses of the president,
vice-president, corresponding secretary, recording secretary and treasurer,
as well as the number of charter members and the pastor. The certificates
are arranged alphabetically by geographical location. The researcher
will find them useful in establishing the names and locations of North
Georgia Methodist churches active at the time. The forms will also
be useful in establishing the membership of an individual in a particular
church and they will give some indication of the residential areas from
which a church might have attracted its membership. The forms, moreover,
will establish the degree of interest in the Woman's Society of Christian
Service as reflected in its member count. The collection also contains
materials from the 1966 annual meeting.
Box/Folder# Description Date 1/25 Annual meeting material 1966
Charter certificates: 1940 1/1 Acworth - Avondale 1/2 Ball Ground - Burwell 1/3 Calhoun - Cumming 1/4 Dacula - Dunwoody 1/5 Eastpoint - Experiment 1/6 Fairburn - Franklin 1/7 Gabbetville - Grovetown 1/8 Habersham - Hull 1/9 Inman 1/10 Jaspar - Juliette 1/11 Kennesaw - Kingston 1/12 Lamar - Lula 1/13 Madison - Murrayville 1/14 Nelson - Norwood 1/15 Oxford 1/16 Point Peter - Powder Springs 1/17 Raleigh - Rutledge 1/18 Sandy Springs - Swords 1/19 Toccoa - Tyrone 1/20 Union Point 1/21 Vanna - Vinings 1/22 Waco - Woodstock 1/23 Yatesville - Young Harris 1/24 Zebulon