Minutes, 1880 Apr. 9.
MANUSCRIPT COLLECTION NUMBER 217
REPRODUCTION: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: Inter-Seminary Conference Minutes, MSS 217, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.
The first Inter-Seminary Conference was held in response to a call from members of the New Brunswick Theological Seminary (New Brunswick, New Jersey), Princeton Theological Seminary (Princeton, New Jersey), and Union Theological Seminary (New York, New York). The delegates attending the conference represented Baptist, Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Reformed Dutch seminaries in Northeastern states, including the Andover Theological Seminary (Andover, Massachusetts), Auburn Theological Seminary (Auburn, New York), Boston University School of Theology (Boston, Massachusetts), Drew Theological Seminary (Madison, New Jersey), Hamilton Theological Seminary (Hamilton, New York), Hartford Seminary (Hartford, Connecticut), Newton Theological Seminary (Newton Centre, Massachusetts), Rochester Theological Seminary (Rochester, New York), and Yale University Divinity School (New Haven, Connecticut).
The minutes are a handwritten record of the proceedings of the first
Inter-Seminary Conference held on April 9, 1880 in the chapel at Union
Theological Seminary in New York City. Delegates organized committees
and elected officers, including Mr. C. L. Noyes from Andover as Chairman
and Mr. A. DeW. Mason from New Brunswick as the Secretary. The next
convention was scheduled to be held the following fall in New Brunswick,