MANUSCRIPT NUMBER 219
REPRODUCTION: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: Church of England Diocese of Chester Consistory Court
Commission to renovate the Parish Church of Walton-on-the-Hill (Lancashire,
England), MSS 219, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library,
The Parish Church of Walton-on-the-Hill is located in Walton Village
near the city of Liverpool in Lancashire, England. The original parish
included Liverpool, Bootle-cum-Linacre, Everton, Fazakerley, Formby, Kirkby,
Kirkdale, Walton, and West Derby. The first church building is believed
to have been constructed before the Norman conquest of England in 1066.
It was rebuilt in 1326 with numerous renovations through the 19th century.
In May 1941 the church was nearly destroyed by incendiary bombing.
Rebuilding began in 1947 and used much of the original stone. The
new church was consecrated on September 5, 1953 by the Lord Bishop of Liverpool.
The commission was issued by the court of the Bishop of Chester, Bowyer
Edward Sparke, and grants authority to George Case and Thomas Leyland to
renovate the Parish Church of Walton-on-the-Hill. The document includes
plans of the chancel and gallery as well as pew assignments. It is
originally dated September 1, 1809 with addendums in 1812 and 1814.