MANUSCRIPT NUMBER 225
REPRODUCTION: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: Ward Family Journal, MSS 225, Archives and Manuscripts Dept.,
Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.
J. C. Ward (1834-1892) moved from Georgia to Montague County, Texas, where he preached on a circuit that included northeast Texas; Miller County, Arkansas; Caddo Parish, Louisiana; and a portion of the Indian Territory, located in present-day Marshall County, Oklahoma. Ward's duties in Texas extended to the counties of Bosque, Cass, Clay, Collin, Cooke, Franklin, Grayson, Jack, Lamar, Montague, Morris, Titus, Wood, and Young. Although Ward was a Methodist preacher, it is not known to which church he belonged: Methodist Episcopal Church, Methodist Episcopal Church, South, or the Methodist Protestant Church. All were active in the area during the period covered by the journal. Rev. J. C. Ward was buried in Bowie, Texas, in the Elmwood Cemetery.
Virginia Frances Mitchell Ward (1837-1892) was the daughter of R. L.
Mitchell of Georgia. The Mitchell family hailed from Ireland, where
her ancestors Hugh Mitchell and John Mitchell resided. In 1758 Mrs.
Ward's great-grandfather, William Mitchell, left Ireland to settle in Wilkerson
County, Georgia. His eldest son, Benjamin Mitchell (1777-1849), was
Mrs. Ward's grandfather. Virginia Frances Ward is buried in Elmwood
Cemetery with her husband.
The journal also contains directions for making yellow dye, a liniment to relieve pain, and eye balsam, as well as remedies for rheumatism, cholera, and erysipelas. It is not known whether these were collected by Rev. or Mrs. Ward.
The genealogical sketch recounts six generations of the Mitchell family, from Hugh Mitchell to her father, R. L. Mitchell. It also includes branches of the family settling in Gadsden County, Florida and south Texas. The piece was written in 1884 and is signed by Virginia Ward.
The journal is bound in leather and contains the inscription, "V.F.
Ward, Montague, Tex." on the inside flap. The line, "Land Notes,"
is written on the outside back cover. All entries are handwritten
in ink or pencil.
Return to Methodist Collections