HOWARD, HENRY CLAY, 1866-1930.
MANUSCRIPT NUMBER 237
REPRODUCTION: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: Henry Clay Howard Sermon, MSS 237, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.
Henry Clay Howard was born on March 20, 1866 in Bell's Landing, Alabama. He attended Southern University in Greensboro, Alabama, receiving his A.B. in 1889 and his D.D. in 1908. Howard served in the North Alabama Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South from 1891 to 1914. He accepted a position on the faculty of Vanderbilt University in 1914, shortly before the university severed its ties with the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Howard was also invited to join the faculty of what became the Candler School of Theology. On the advice of Bishop Warren Akin Candler (1857-1941), Howard declined the offer from Vanderbilt and joined the Systematic Theology Department of Candler. The following year he transferred to the Homiletics Department. Howard held a variety of offices during his sixteen-year tenure at Candler. He served as the Assistant Dean under Dean Plato Tracy Durham (1873-1930) from 1916 to 1930. He was also the first pastor of Emory Methodist Church, known now as Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church. Henry Clay Howard died on December 28, 1930.
Dr. Howard married Lucia E. Smith of Greensboro, Alabama, on April 30,
1891. Ms. Smith was the daughter of Dr. Luther M. Smith, a well-known
This collection consists of one handwritten sermon. It is four
pages in length and takes as its topic Revelations 3:20 and Luke 24:13-31.
The sermon was delivered between 1894 and 1903 at four churches in the
North Alabama Conference including Avondale, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa.
Return to Methodist Collections