RED OAK METHODIST CHURCH (WILLIAMSON, GA.)
RECORD GROUP NUMBER 016
EXTENT: .28 cubic ft. (1 half size legal archives box)
REPRODUCTION: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: Red Oak Methodist Church (Williamson, GA) Records, RG 016, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.
The Red Oak Methodist Church of Williamson, Georgia, was founded in 1823. The land for the church was deeded through Isaac B. Williamson and Gills Driver to two trustees, William M. Simmons and Benjamin F. Harper. The church originally stood on a site near a large red oak that was mentioned in the deed.
The first pastor was Andrew Hamell. The only recorded member for the
first year was Frances Allen. There are no records of "class leaders" until
1872. These leaders were to watch over the spiritual welfare of the
people, look after the poor, and report to the Quarterly Conference.
Originally a part of the Zebulon Circuit, Red Oak was placed on the Griffin Circuit, then in 1922 it became a part of the Williamson Circuit. It is currently a part of the Heck Chapel-Red Oak Charge.
In 1856 the present church building was built. The vestibule, steeple and bell were added in 1902. The church was remodeled in 1946 under the leadership of Rev. C. B. Drake
This collection consists of three bound volumes dating from 1823 to 1895. The first two volumes contain a register of members and pastors, while the third volume is comprised of general church meeting minutes (1866-1895) and memorials to deceased members. The meeting minutes include reports from class leaders and reports of the trials of church members who were accussed of such acts as lewdness, public drunkenness, and adultery.
Box/ Folder Description 1/1 Register of Pastors, members, deaths, disposals, and marriages, 1823 to 1895. 1/2 Register of members, and probationers, 1858 to 1876. 1/3 Minutes, 1866 to 1895.
Archives & Manuscripts
Pitts Theology Library
Atlanta, GA 30322
Return to Organization Archives
Return to Methodist Collections