NICHOLSON UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (NICHOLSON, GA.)
RECORD GROUP NUMBER 029
EXTENT: .5 cubic ft. (1 legal-size archive box)
REPRODUCTION: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: Nicholson United Methodist Church (Nicholson, Ga.) Records, RG 029, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.
Nicholson Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized between 1906-1907 and was the first church established in Nicholson, Georgia. The original building was completed in 1908 on land donated by Mrs. Mattie V. Smith and was in use until 1920-1922 when a new church was built. A third, and final, building was constructed in 1955.
Nicholson United Methodist Church was located in the Athens-Elberton
District of the North Georgia Conference. It was closed in 1994 as
a result of declining membership. Remaining members transferred to
Antioch United Methodist Church in Athens, Georgia. The final service
was held on April 24, 1994.
The organization records consist of the minutes of Nicholson's Administrative Council from 1986-1994 and lists of officers of the Administrative Council from 1987-1992; Building committee records from 1991-1992; a transcribed copy of the church register from 1908-1994; miscellaneous records from 1992-1994; and church service programs from 1987 May-1994 Apr.
The church register transcript was compiled by Herbert Barnett in 1991
with updates through 1994. The location of the original is unknown.
Box/Folder Description Date Administrative Council 1/1 Minutes 1986-1992 1/2 Minutes (Bound) 1987-1994 1/3 Officers 1987-1988 1/4 Officers 1989-1992
1/5 Building committee records 1991-1992 1/6 Church register transcript 1908-1994 1/7 Miscellaneous 1992-1994 1/8 Programs 1987 May-1992 Jul 1/9 Programs 1992 Aug-1994 Apr
Archives & Manuscripts
Pitts Theology Library
Atlanta, GA 30322
Return to Organization Archives
Return to Methodist Collections