MOUNT VERNON UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (DOUGLASVILLE,
RECORD GROUP NUMBER 033
EXTENT: .5 cubic ft. (1 flat oversize box and 1 legal folder)
REPRODUCTION: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: Mount Vernon United Methodist Church (Douglasville, Ga.), Records, RG 033, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.
Mount Vernon Methodist Episcopal Church, South originally met in the Old Round Top School until the first sanctuary was completed in 1900. The site of the school, and later the church building, was donated by Mr. Wiley Mitchell. It was the first church in the Austell Circuit of the Marietta District and was named by Mrs. Clara Howell. The Rev. J. T. Eakes served as the first pastor.
Mount Vernon United Methodist Church joined the Rome District of the
North Georgia Conference in 1943, moving to the Atlanta-Southwest District
in 1964. Mr. T. K. Mayfield donated half an acre of land in 1963
for the construction of a parsonage. Church membership dropped to
less than 25 between 1969 and 1970. Church officials voted
to close the church and distribute its assets to the District Board of
Missionaries and Church Extension. Furnishings were given to Flint
Hill United Methodist Church, as well as other churches within the district.
The parsonage was never built and the donated property reverted to the
heirs of Mr. Mayfield. The church property was sold in 1973 to a
This collection consists of a church register (1901-1975) and a folder of loose material from the register (1963-1975). The register contains records of baptisms (1901-1952) and membership (1901-1975) in addition to annual summary statistics (1957-1958). The folder contains membership material, correspondence, and miscellaneous documents.
Although Mount Vernon United Methodist Church was officially closed
between 1969 and 1970, correspondence and membership records continued
to be compiled until 1975.
Box Description Date 2 Church register 1901-1975 1 Loose material 1963-1975
Archives & Manuscripts
Pitts Theology Library
Atlanta, GA 30322
Return to Organization Archives
Return to Methodist Collections