UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (U.S.) NORTH GEORGIA CONFERENCE.
AUGUSTA DISTRICT. MAYFIELD CIRCUIT.
RECORD GROUP NUMBER 037
EXTENT: 4 cubic ft. (7 legal archive boxes and 1 small oversize box)
REPRODUCTION: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: United Methodist Church (U.S.) North Georgia Conference Augusta District Mayfield Circuit Records, RG 037, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.
The Mayfield circuit was formed in 1906 as an outgrowth of Culverton circuit’s
missionary efforts. By 1915 the circuit served Mayfield, Rock Mills
(Jewell), Smyrna, and Powellton. A parsonage was built for the circuit
in Mayfield, Georgia, in 1918, and Mt. Hope was added to the circuit in 1952.
Mayfield United Methodist Church began in the early 1890s as a Sunday school that met intermittently. In 1894, Rev. Marion Eakes began preaching at Mayfield on Sunday afternoons. On the initiative of the congregation, property was acquired, and a sanctuary was built and dedicated in July 1897. Between 1948 and 1953, a new building was constructed and furnished.
In 1990 Mayfield United Methodist Church, as well as the Powellton and Smyrna churches, were closed due to the lack of a congregation. At that time Mt. Hope and Rock Mills were transferred to the Jewell circuit. Rock Mills (Jewell) was closed in 1998, leaving Mt. Hope as the only church on the Jewell charge.
United Methodist Church (U.S.) North Georgia Conference Local church histories, MSS 028, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.
Lawrence, Harold. Changes in charge lines: North Georgia Conference, 1913-1996. Milledgeville, Ga.: Boyd Publishing Company, 1997.
This collection is made up of records pertaining to the Mayfield circuit,
including some records regarding all of the churches in the circuit:
Mayfield, Rock Mills (Jewell), Smyrna, Powellton, and Mt. Hope. The
bulk of the records, however, pertain to Mayfield United Methodist Church.
The Mayfield circuit records include both bound and loose quarterly conference
records dating from 1911 to 1972. Also of note is a church register
which contains membership, marriage and baptism information for Mayfield,
Rock Mills, Smyrna, and Powellton. The marriages and baptisms are not
designated by church, however, and these records may not be complete.
The collection also include records from executive meetings, memorials of
church members, and other miscellaneous material.
Records specific to the Mayfield congregation consist of Sunday school records, materials pertaining to the church building, membership information and the records of the women’s group. A significant amount of the records are bound Sunday school record books dating from 1896 to 1930. Also of note is a daybook that contains information on each Sunday service from 1900 to 1923.
Box/Folder Description Dates
1/1 Executive board minutes 1965-1974
8 Membership register [bound]
with loose material 1901-1937
1/2 Miscellaneous 1954-1987
Quarterly conference records:
1/3-8 [Bound] 1911-1934
2/1-2 [Bound] 1934-1940
2/3-8 [Loose] 1941-1951
3/1-8 [Loose] 1952-1969
4/1-2 [Loose] 1969-1972
Mayfield United Methodist Church
4/3 Church building 1948-1956
4/4 Church building 1948-1956
4/5 Church building 1949-1953
4/6 Church register – loose pages 1901-1938
4/7 Daybook 1900-1923
4/8 Daybook – loose material 1900-1923
4/9 Guest register pages 1953-1990
4/10 Memorials 1954-1956
5 Sunday school record books 1896-1917 Jul
6 Sunday school record books 1917 Aug-1930 Mar
7 Women’s organization records 1950-1977