METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH.
Proceedings of Board of Commissioners, 1876.
RECORD GROUP NUMBER 043
EXTENT: .1 cubic ft. (1 folder)
REPRODUCTION: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: Methodist Episcopal Church South Proceedings of Board of Commissioners,
RG 043, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory
In 1845, as a result of the North-South tensions, the Methodist Episcopal Church conferences in the Southern states withdrew to form the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In 1874 at the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South held in Louisville, Kentucky, a Board of Commissioners was appointed to meet with a similar board from the Methodist Episcopal Church (MEC). The Board was empowered to begin talks the MEC board that would resolve differences between the two denominations and result in unification. In 1939 the two joined back together, along with the Methodist Protestant Church, to form the Methodist Church.
This is a journal of the proceedings of the Board of Commissioners of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South (MECS) held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on August 14-15, 1876 and in Cape May, New Jersey, August 16-23, 1876 to discuss measures that would bring about the unification of the northern and southern Methodist Episcopal Church denominations. Following the proceedings of the MECS are the proceedings of the joint commission representing the MECS and the Methodist Episcopal Church that also took place in Cape May City, New Jersey in August of 1876.