PITTS THEOLOGY LIBRARY
ARCHIVES AND MANUSCRIPTS DEPARTMENT
SOCIETY OF BIBLICAL LITERATURE. Journal of Biblical Literature, Correspondence, ca. 1975-1982
Extent: 4.16 cubic feet (4 records boxes)
Reproduction: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
Copyright: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
Citation: [Title or Description of Item], Society of Biblical Literature, Journal of Biblical Literature, Correspondence, RG 058, Archives and Manuscripts Department, Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.
The Society of Biblical Literature (SBL) is the oldest and largest international scholarly membership organization in the field of biblical studies. Founded in 1880, the SBL includes international members who share a mutual interest in the critical investigation of the Bible.
The eight founders of The Society of Biblical Literature and Exegesis first met to discuss their new society in Philip Schaff's study in New York City in January of 1880. In June the group had their first Annual Meeting with eighteen people in attendance. The new society drew up a constitution and by-laws and discussed several papers. Membership dues were set at three dollars. By the end of the year, membership had grown to forty-five and publication of the meeting proceedings were in the planning stages. The Journal was launched the following year.
The flagship journal of the field of Biblical scholarship, the Journal of Biblical Literature is published quarterly and includes scholarly articles and critical notes by members of the Society of Biblical Literature.
Publisher-Author Correspondence, ca. 1975-1979, Box 1
Publisher-Author Correspondence, ca. 1976-1981, Box 2
Publisher-Author Correspondence, ca. 1979-1982, Box 3
Publisher-Author Correspondence, ca. 1981-1982, Box 4