STOLTZ, JOHANN, 1514-1556.
Disticha de uita et praecipuis rebus gestis uiri Dei et ..., ca. 1550-1556.
MANUSCRIPT NUMBER 089
EXTENT: 1 item (on 2 leaves) 14.5 x 19 cm.
ACCESS: Unrestricted. Click here to view document images.
REPRODUCTION: All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: Johann Stoltz, Disticha de uita et praecipuis rebus gestis uiri Dei et ..., MSS 089, Richard C. Kessler Reformation Collection, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.
Johann Stol(t)z was a Lutheran Theologian and protege of Martin Luther. He was born ca. 1514 in Wittenberg, Germany. After finishing his studies at Wittenberg University in 1539, he served as deacon of Jessen and as tutor to August (later elector of Saxony). In 1540 Stoltz received a stipendium from Luther's intermediary that allowed him to return to Wittenberg to study during the winter course of 1540-1541. In 1544 he served as a professor at Wittenberg.
Following the death of Martin Luther in 1546 Stoltz joined with Nikolas von Amsdorf, Matthias Illyricus Flacius and other "faithful Lutherans" to oppose the Interim. In 1547 while serving as Weimar court preacher he wrote the Weimar response against the Interim. During his service at Weimar Stoltz developed a keen interest in Church government. He was deeply involved in the Synergistic Controversy that arose following the Leipzig Interim of 1548. In 1555 Johann Pfeffinger formulated his Melanchthonian theses on Free Will. In 1556 Stoltz countered with his 110 theses and was supported by Amsdorf and other "faithful Lutherans." Stoltz also assisted in the compiling and editing of the (University of) Jena Edition of the Works of Martin Luther.
Note: Information in this Historical Note was obtained from the Lutheran Cyclopedia, edited by Edwin L. Lueker.
Twenty distichs (couplets) inspired by important events in the life of Martin Luther. The couplets, in Latin, were composed ca. 1550 and are written on paper. The author's name is found at the end of the piece as is his dedication of it to Johann Kestner. Pencil markings of a later owner are located in the upper left corner of the first page. Originally part of a signature, each of the two leaves has been encapsulated in mylar for protection.
(Processed by John N. Wright with a translation by Fred A. Grater, October, 1988)