Les Heures de nostre dame, ca. 1480
[Hours of our lady]
MANUSCRIPT NUMBER 161
ACCESS: Access restricted. Apply in writing to Archivist. Click here to view images from this item.
REPRODUCTION: May not be photocopied.
COPYRIGHT: Information on copyright (literary rights) available from repository.
CITATION: Catholic Church Les Heures de nostre dame, MSS 161, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University
This book of hours manuscript includes a calendar, the four Gospels, the prayers to the Virgin, the Hours of the Virgin excluding the Flight into Egypt, the penitential Psalms, the Office of the Dead, and the Suffrages of the Saints. The text is in Latin with the calendar and the headings of the prayers in French. The book is bound in red velvet and enclosed in a satin brochade book cover. There are twenty-seven miniatures:
The Four Gospels:
1. St. John writing his Gospel while the symbolic eagle holds the ink bottle suspended from his beak [leaf 13] 2. St. Luke [leaf 14] 3. St. Matthew [leaf 15] 4. St. Mark [leaf 17]
Prayers to the Virgin:
5. Madonna and Child [leaf 18] 6. Descent from the Cross [leaf 21]
Hours of the Virgin:
7. The Annunciation [leaf 24] 8. The Visitation with Elizabeth [leaf 42] 9. The Nativity [leaf 51] 10. Angel to Shepherds [leaf 56] 11. Adoration of the Magi [leaf 60] 12. Presentation in the Temple [leaf 63] 13. Coronation of the Virgin [leaf 71]
14. David and Goliath [leaf 76]
Office of the Dead:
15. The Cruficixion [leaf 90] 16. Descent of the Holy Ghost showing Mary and the apostles [leaf 93] 17. Job and his Friends [leaf 96] 18. The Trinity [leaf 132] 19. Archangel Michael with balance and cross [leaf 132] 20. John the Baptist with Lamb [leaf 133]
Suffrages of the Saints:
21. St. Nicholas [leaf 133] 22. St. Sebastian [leaf 134] 23. St. Antony [leaf 134] 24. St. Catherine [leaf 135] 25. St. Barbara [leaf 135] 26. St. Margaret [leaf 136] 27. St. Genevieve [leaf 136]