Summer Reading No. 5: Elizabeth Miller

Coordinator of Digital Initiatives, Liz Miller, manages the library’s digital communications, like our social media, weekly newsletter, and this blog (hi! I’m the one writing these blogs!). This week, let’s see what’s entertaining Liz when she’s not making content.

First up is Nothing Fancy by Alison Roman. About this cookbook, Liz writes,

“I adore Alison Roman; if she recommends I cook something, I probably will. In fact, last year a few friends and I cooked A Very Alison Roman Thanksgiving together, featuring salmon, an exceptional salad, and dilly rolls. If any of that sounds good to you, I highly recommend you check out Nothing Fancy. These recipes are simple, have thorough, detailed instructions, and come out looking beautiful. The book is marketed as being recipes for having people over, but these work just as well for a regular night at home.”

All of Alison’s cookbooks, including Nothing Fancy, are available at the Dekalb County Public Library. Dining In is available at the Science Commons at Emory. Alison also maintains a YouTube series called “Home Movies,” and a newsletter called “A Newsletter“.

Next is A Burglar’s Guide to the City by Geoff Manaugh. Liz writes,

“A lot of people don’t know that I’m a big architecture nerd/buff, but now that secret is out. I’ve always been enamored by the stories of old bank robberies and heists and such, so when I came across this book, I knew I had to read it. After flying through it in one sitting, I have a new appreciation for the skill and creativity that has to go into thievery, but also crime prevention. I definitely walk into buildings differently now and consider the not-so-obvious points of entry, which is a fun shift in perspective, if you ask me.”

A Burglar’s Guide to the City is available at the Woodruff Library and the Dekalb County Public Library.

Daisy Jones and the Six is next on Liz’s list. About this one, she writes,

“I’m a sucker for a good book-to-TV adaptation, and Daisy Jones fits the bill. You’ll find all the drama you’re looking for in this story of love and music (& the love of music? the music of love?), that follows musicians Daisy and Billy as they join forces into one of the most influential bands of their time. Daisy and Billy’s story asks the age-old question, should we be with partners who complement us and provide us balance, or should we be with partners who understand us completely, but have the potential to drive us to ruin? Even after making it to the end, I’m still not sure how to answer that question, but where’s the fun in certainty anyway?”

Daisy Jones and the Six (the book) is available at the Woodruff Library and the Dekalb County Public Library. The mini Prime Original series is available on Amazon Prime, and the album is streaming wherever you stream your music.

Finally, Liz’s last recommendation is the Last Podcast on the Left.

“LPOTL covers pretty much everything I enjoy learning about: conspiracy theories, true crime, major historical events, cryptids, ghost stories, religious movements, UFOs, and the like. Ben, Marcus, and Henry manage to add humor to some of the most harrowing stories, and for that, I respect and admire them. This podcast has been going for over 12 years and doesn’t look to be stopping anytime soon, so there is also a huge back catalog of episodes to keep you busy on summer road trips. I will warn you that this is definitely a podcast for adults and I don’t recommend playing it out loud at work, so proceed with that information as you will.”

Last Podcast on the Left is streaming on LPOTL’s website, as well as most streaming services.

Like what you see? Stay tuned for more summer reading recommendations from the faculty and staff at Pitts and Candler!